You can make a really efficient cleaner for all hard surfaces that can withstand bleach without risking damage or discolouration. These can be made at home for less than five pence for a bottle. Use it for sinks, baths (except those made of enamel), kitchen counters, ceramic and plastic tiles and plastic dustbins.
Make sure never to use this solution with an ammonia-based cleaner. Mixing bleach and ammonia produces toxic fumes that may seriously harm you or even kill you. You can prepare the solution with the following steps.
1. Get a large heavy-duty plastic spray bottle. If you don't have one, you can find appropriate spray bottles in any gardening store or any DIY store's gardening section
2. Add the following in the spray bottle:
• 500 millilitres (ml) (1 pint) of luke warm water
• A large squirt of washing-up liquid or a tablespoon of bleach-free washing-powder (The item below is essential. You wouldn't be able to clean efficiently without bleach.)
• 30ml (2 tablespoons) of liquid bleach - economy bleach made up from sodium hypochlorite is fine.
3. Stir the mixture using the spray pipe on the lid.
Apply this solution generously onto your chosen hard surface. The use a dampened cloth or sponge to rinse the surface. Most surfaces can air-dry, but to get a good shine, you need to rub metal with a cloth.
Wet environments are a breeding ground for germs. So if you see that the surface would take a long time to dry, then wipe it clean with a paper towel or a clean cloth. Bleach breaks down quickly once diluted, so you need to use the solution within a day or else it will break down and no longer work efficiently. Since the cost of the solution is so low, it's never much of a problem. Once you're done the cleaning, you can dispose of it in an outside drain.
Bleach can be harmful to fabrics and porous surfaces. Always ensure the surface is safe to bleach by testing the solution on an inconspicuous spot. This can be done with a couple of cotton swabs, dipped into the solution. Apply it on a small area and let it air-dry. If you see colour fade or pitting in the surface or if it gets rough, then you know the surface is not bleach safe.
Some surfaces you can't use bleach on include:
# Enamel: When bleach is applied on already worn enamel, it can cause it to dull.
# Fabric treated with special finishes: It can result in fading and dulling the finish.
# Leather: It can cause fading.
# Marble: It can pitting on the surface.
# Metal: Avoid spraying chrome or gold-plating. Splashing on the metal drain plug is fine but just don't let the solution collect in the drain - wipe the plug dry.
# Silk: It can cause the fibres to rot.
# Wool: It can cause the fibres to rot.
If you're in doubt about the surface, a mild cleaner, such as diluted washing-up liquid, can also be effective. It can also be filled into the spray bottle, for quick, easy and effective cleaning.
Best Liverpool Cleaning
114a Imperial Court,
Exchange St E,
0151 675 0017